- We collect information to make sure our website is useful to you.
- We’ll keep you up to date on North Berwick Candles if you sign up to the mailing list.
- To remember you, our system will store cookies. This helps us to improve the website, although you can opt out.
- We want you to trust us, so we will never sell your data.
- Introduction & who we are.
- The data we collect about you.
- How is your personal data collected?
- How we use your personal data.
- Disclosures of your personal data.
- Data security.
- Data retention.
- Your legal rights.
Introduction & Who We Are
North Berwick Candle Company is a candle making company, based in North Berwick, Scotland. We are committed to protecting your data and respect your privacy. This privacy notice will inform you as to how we look after your personal data when you visit our website (regardless of where you visit it from) and tell you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact us by using the details below.
North Berwick Candle Company – Trademarked
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address: Please email us for the postal address details.
Telephone number: 07886 988432
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
Changes to the privacy notice and your duty to inform us of changes
This version was last updated on 24 October 2018. It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
This website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
The data we collect about you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, date of birth and gender.
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our website, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We also collect, use and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. For example, we may aggregate your Usage Data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature. However, if we combine or connect Aggregated Data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
How is your personal data collected?
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
You may give us your Identity, Contact and Financial Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- apply for our products or services;
- subscribe to our service or publications;
- engage with us on social media;
- request marketing to be sent to you;
- enter a competition, promotion or survey, attend an event; or
- give us some feedback or make a complaint.
Automated technologies or interactions.
How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to and we will never sell your data to third parties. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the task/contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Except for marketing communications, generally we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
We have set out below a description of all the ways we plan to use your personal data, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out below.
To register you as a new customer.
To process and deliver your order for products or services including:
(a) Manage payments, fees and charges.
(b) Collect money owed to us.
To manage our relationship with you which will include:
(b) Asking you to leave a review or take a survey.
To enable you to partake in a prize draw, event, competition or complete a survey.
To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data).
To deliver relevant website content to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the marketing we serve to you.
To use data analytics to improve our website, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences.
To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you.
To carry out email marketing and send you marketing communications by email. Such communications will include information about the products, services, events, offers and promotions we offer from time to time.
Disclosures of your personal data
We only share your data with additional third parties to help us personalise our offers to you and to fulfil our obligations to our customers.
Such third parties include but are not limited to:
- Internal Third Parties as set out in the Glossary below.
- External Third Parties as set out in the Glossary below.
Any data stored outside of the previously mentioned third-party processors is for back-up purposes only and stored on encrypted windows software and permanently deleted when no longer required.
How long will you use my personal data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
Your legal rights
You have rights to request us to remove or amend your personal data under data protection laws.
Our website uses a few main cookies;
We keep session cookies which is a small file on our server allowing us to distinguish you from other users, so that we can keep a virtual “basket” of the products you add to your shopping cart.
We also use Google Analytics, which sets a small cookie file on your computer browser. This cookie stores no personal information about you and will keep a track of how you browse our website. We use this anonymous information to help us further improve the shopping experience on our website.
Some of the pages on North Berwick Candles use content embedded from another website, for example Facebook & Instagram, you maybe sent cookies from these websites. We don’t actually control these cookies and we would recommend that you visit these third parties for more information about their cookies:
Paypal & Sum-Up (our payment providers), YouTube (to view videos), Facebook & Instagram (to share content). We don’t sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies). We treat your information as sensitive and confidential.
If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the North Berwick Candles website.
If cookies aren’t enabled on your device, it will mean that your shopping experience on our website will be limited to browsing and researching. Unfortunately you will not be able to add products to your basket and buy them.
Internal Third Parties Those controlling data employed by North Berwick Candles.
External Third Parties
- Google Analytics
- Google Cloud
- Google Business